Thursday, August 18, 2011

...the work...

                   The primary theme of the ceramic objects that I produce focuses on the female body as the metaphoric container for life, death and magic (everything.) Influenced by the books, The Language of the Goddess and the Civilization of the Goddess: The World of Old Europe by anthropologist Marija Gimbutas, I create archetypal vessels that can be used as ritual objects or as mementos of a time gone by. The forms are predominantly inspired by Paleolithic female figurines like the Venus of Lespuge and the conceptual ideology of Kongo minkisi. Recently, the influences of Polynesian godsticks and Ife divination tappers have seeped into the figures, both for their aesthetic and conceptual qualities. In addition, the works of Magdalene Odundo, Adrian Piper and Ana Mendieta heavily inform my thinking process and with this in mind I continue to produce sculptural vessels from traditions that speak to me viscerally.