Thursday, May 9, 2013

Hambidge1

A three-week residency was spent at the Hambidge Center  http://www.hambidge.org/ in northern Georgia, between March and April. The next few posts will focus on the experience.

The time spent there was to continue to work on some ideas for the mortuary objects started on another residency in 2010. 

For the three weeks I lived in the Old Pottery Studio.





Interior of cottage


"........It is the Saturday after arriving at a place where I am, again, looking to the process of art for some solace and grace. I write this now before I forget and the feelings of camaraderie leave me, and my doubts about writing assail me and public masks/personas get put back on. I arrived at these mysterious mountain woods one Tuesday afternoon harried and close to tears from being lost in unfamiliar territory, given wrong directions and worrying thoughts of my poor car’s long distance journey now showing wear. All of this a culmination of a week's hectic toing and froing in preparation for three weeks away from a numbing work environment and the constant companion of concrete.  Little sleep was had in the preparation of packing up house, shunting errant cats off to a sibling and the requisite paying of bills before an early morning darkened departure. A welcome and mini-tour, new people passing in a blur as after a 13-hour drive and an hour or so to meet and greet and unpack my car, then send an email, my reserves were completely empty. Sleep took me trembling and silently, and in the warmed air of new surroundings I recouped my verve. The next day of organizing and taking time to greet the welcome silence I sat down to dinner with strangers....."