Friday, June 14, 2013

Anagama@Hambidge-----Tom Egan




                                              © T. Egan



..."I have been a studio potter since 1993. My ceramic studies began at a community arts center and have continued through the years with international travels to explore various pottery traditions and attendance at workshops with nationally recognized potters. Workshops include Warren McKenzie, Don Reitz, Paul Soldner, Ron Myers, Cynthia Bringle, Peter Volkous, Tom Coleman, Tom Collins, Michael Simon, and Ben Owen III.  I currently maintain and operate my own studio with the use of various firing techniques.  My studio has an electric kiln and raku kiln as well as a stoneware kiln that was personally designed, built and fired. I have attended woodfirings at various kilns throughout the southeast and worked closely with various artists to learn the intricacies of woodfiring.  I have been leading the Hambidge anagama firings with Rick Berman for the last 5 years."...



                

                                                         © T. Egan.2013





..."My interest in wood-fired pots came about when I saw a pot called Burst Pouch: 
http://trickynave.blogspot.com/2008/02/gotoh-museum.html 

I didn’t know anything about Japanese pottery or wood kilns at the time but the pot spoke to me on so many levels. When people ask me about Japanese pots, I tell them that seeing that pot was like finding something I didn’t l know I had lost. Sharing the wood firing process and the pots it produces is one of the great joys of my life.”...





                                                                              © T. Egan.2013


“The work has to be held”
In discussing his work, Egan describes the tactile qualities as central to what he wants his work to convey.





 
                                                                              © T. Egan.2013
                © T. Egan.2013








...“I was very pleased with my work from this firing. Some firings are more experimental in nature for me and this was one of those firings. I made a few tried and true forms but concentrated more on some ideas I have had kicking around for a while. I am looking forward to expanding on what I gleaned from this firing. As a whole, everyone seemed pleased with their results, even the new people who often take a firing or two to get used to the woodfiring process.”...






● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●





                                                                                 © B. Heerman




"We never reach Heaven by getting off the Earth.
We reach Heaven by understanding the Earth."

Mary Crovatt Hambidge. Apprentice in Creation "The Way is Beauty". p. 106